Monday, September 15, 2008

No Rest for the Wicked?

Reading other blogs inspired me to write about our "not" so restful weekend. And for once we did not have any rain! Wow....who would have thought that out here in the desert?

Let's begin with Friday.....that morning "we" picked 3 semi loads of chile, 100 bags of chile, I roasted 160 lbs. of chile, and shipped 2 semi loads of hay. I also finished cleaning and putting back together my disastrous guest bedroom. Then we loaded up a trailer with hay and headed towards Wet Stone to deliver more chile and hay. With 8 ton bales of alfalfa hay pulled by a gas pickup.....the going was slow!! Those hills around Benson are tough! But we finally made it and we were able to see Travis and Nicolette's house that they are going to be moving into soon. We had dinner with them, and got home pretty late.

Saturday I started out by roasting another 160 lbs. of chile, plus I am having problems with my big roaster with the motor on it, so I had to switch to my little roaster (which I just picked up a few days before that) and hand turn the it.....little more work involved with that, and we were only able to pick 1 semi load of chile because our crew was small. I did some more cleaning on the house and then looked into my Green Chile Bible for some good recipes. Then Jason calls.....

Jason: What's for lunch?
Me: Oh, I've made buttermilk chile cornbread and pollo ranchero!
Jason: Wow! Something new and we aren't even having company over!

When I called him to let him know that lunch was ready, he asked if Nicolette was there. So we ended up having company for lunch! We both had a great time with them and the kids, and I really enjoyed rocking Heidi most of the afternoon! ;) After they had left I roasted 120 lbs. of chile and we took them to Elfrida. We ended up getting home late again that night.

Sunday, we slept in!! Papa called and needed Jason to help get a ram out of the pen of ewes. When he came back we ate breakfast and then he went out to rake hay and I started some more house cleaning ( I know, I know, we should have gone to church!). I hung a new blind in the guest bedroom, washed that window, and then I shampooed the carpets in that bedroom and the office. I also made these really good sugar free peanut butter oatmeal cookies. After Jason finished raking the hay, we left to go the the mountains to have picnic with my family. We ended up in Turkey Creek and the water is running and the grass is so high that you can barely see the cattle! BEAUTIFUL!!!!

On the way home, we had to stop at a Border Patrol check point which they were in the process of setting up. Anyway...people we everywhere and here is how the conversation went between Jason and the agent.

BP: Good evening. US Border Patrol. Where are you heading?
Me: (oh no!! How's he going to answer?)
Jason: Home.
Me: (whew)
BP: Where's home?
Me: (Oh NO, he just had to ask!)
Jason: Cochise.
Me: (whew)
BP: Where are you coming from?
Me: (OK, here we go....)
Jason: Turkey Creek.
Me: (oh...THANK YOU, LORD!)
BP: Have a nice evening.

as we drive away.........
Jason: I don't like to be questioned.
Me: No kidding.

Fun times this weekend! This week looks to be our busiest of the season. This morning Jason already has an order for 90 bags of chile, and, hopefully, we will have a big enough crew for 2 semi loads as well. We start shipping pumpkins on Wednesday, I have chile orders to take to Tucson on Wednesday, and out of 240 acres of alfalfa - 180 acres have been cut and will need to be raked and baled probably by this weekend. Oh well, looks like next weekend we won't be doing much resting either!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola! Last night I finally got the chilies put up! lol. They smell so good when you are cleaning them, I thought about just eating one! ha ha ha. Funny story for ya. Late last night I was staying up to make sure Wyatt made it home from Animas okay. When I was crawling into bed Heidi woke up and was so loud. She was WIDE awake and talking up a storm. I COULD NOT get her back to sleep until about 3 or so. How did I get her to sleep...rocked her! lol. I think you and your rocking chair should come spend some time with us. :) That won't happen for a while I'm guessing!