Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Love The Fall

I really do love September and October. It brings back good memories of county fair (showed horses so I was able to stay out of the politics!) and of corn harvest. One of my most favorite memories of growing up as a "farm kid" was spending time with my dad on the combine harvesting corn. Love It!! Love the smells, the sights and the sounds.....I highly recommend trying it! ;)

These days I'm no longer showing horses, my dad now has his corn custom harvested, and we don't go corn but I still love the fall! We started picking chile last Friday and things have been crazy. And the crazier things get, the happier Jason gets.....yes, I said "happier". I do count my blessings!! And I have fired up the roaster and have gotten a few bags roasted. I had a couple yesterday come and get 80lbs. of roasted chile and they told me that it was the best chile that they have ever had! Last year they canned some of it and gave it away as Christmas gifts and everyone asked where they had gotten the chile. They told them that it did NOT come from Hatch, NM! I just love it when people finally realize that chile doesn't just come from Hatch, and that it's actually better from Cochise, AZ!

We will start picking pumpkins next Wednesday. This year has been so odd! This is the latest start to chile that we have ever had, and the earliest start to pumpkins that we have ever had! I'll get some pictures of chile/pumpkin harvest, and of my chile roaster.

Oh yes...I mustn't forget....along with the chile and pumpkin harvest we are still putting up hay. Well, we are trying, but it won't seem to stop raining. They say that as soon as you plant hay then the rain will start, well.....they are RIGHT! But as my new favorite quote says, "Life is not about learning how to survive the storm, it's about learning how to dance in the rain!"

So if you'll excuse me, I have some dancing lessons to attend to! And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JENNIFER!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so sweet! I am so glad things are looking good there! As much rain as we are getting here lately, maybe I should get some lessons, too. Although, I probably need more lessons than you, because God made me cofC for more than one reason:)