Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Reflections.....

Jason and I had the opportunity to go and help out Tammy and Stephen, since they have so graciously helped us out lately! It is their "harvest" time as well and we were helping gather yearlings to take to the sell. Jason had helped on Saturday, but some managed to get out of the pasture so yesterday afternoon we gathered again.

For a little background information, my family has farmed just on the other side of the mountain where Tammy and Stephen have their ranch since the early 50's. Yesterday was my first time to be one the backside of that mountain. WOW! I know that I have posted this before, but it is amazing how much AZ changes within miles of it's self!

ANYWHO...... At one point Teaspoon (my horse) and I were left by ourselves holding some cows and calves while Jason and Stephen were scouting for some more. The view I had was absolutely breath taking!! As I had a few minutes to myself I was praying and thanking God for the opportunity to even be up there, when I started thinking about the ranching life style. Now, farming is hard but ranching....that's a whole other kind of hard.

I was thinking about all the sacrifices that they had made to be up there, everything that they had done without. So many times we want to find our "security" in our checking account, or where we live, or what vehicles that we drive, or how new our farming equipment is.....but here's a family who love each other and I mean really love each other. The 3 kids are grown but they still look out for one another, at Will's wedding his dad was his best man, at Shay's wedding her brothers were her attendants and it is important to Shay Lynn to have her children close together so that they too might have the relationship that she shares with her brothers.

They built this relationship not by buying all the newest and greatest things for their children, in fact, Tammy told me that when the kids were little she would go into town and pick up free cardboard refrigerator boxes for the kids to make forts and countless other stories! But they were given a wonderful life by all of them working together, sacrificing together on that ranch. Now their family is not perfect, but to me it is a beautiful example of what God had is mind when he set up the family.

I pray that someday when I have a family of my own that I too will instill in my children a strong work ethic, the meaning of sacrifice, and what life is really about....a relationship with our Savior.

I wish that I could have carried my camera with me! It was so peaceful and to me, there is no better quiet time then when you're sitting horseback looking at God's beautiful creation!

3 comments:

Janette's Joys said...

I love your blog so, so much! I have no doubt that you will be a great mom and that you and Jason will be a great family example someday to the rest of us, just like Tammy and Steven.

I'm so excited to see you!!!

Unknown said...

I pray that same prayer for you, too! What a blessing you are to all of us - to remind us to look for the good in everything! Thank you so much for sharing!

C. White said...

I have missed reading your blog lately! You must be busy with harvest. Hope it's going well. Maybe we'll see you when we come out there at Thanksgiving.